Leadership And Management Topic Essay
Leadership And Management Topic Essay
The purpose of this assignment is to synthesize and apply the knowledge you gained in class into a well-written research paper. For this assignment, you will conduct research and write a paper containing the two elements: Part I: Choose one of the listed topics
· Implementing change on a nursing unit (Student must incorporate an example and a change theory)
· Leadership traits for successfully managing in the clinical arena.
· Quality improvement in the nursing unit or system
· Mentorship in nursing
· Preceptor programs for nursing leaders
· Solving incivility in the work place, How can a nurse manager help? (conflict resolution)
· Legal Issues within the nursing unit
· Promotion of ethical behaviors within the nursing unit (student must create a plan and implementation strategy)
· Nursing Unit Strategic Planning
· Compare and contrast the following new roles for the changing health care arena:
. Nurse Navigators, Clinical Nurse Leaders, and Leaders in Patient-Centered Care
Part II: Evaluate how the topic applies to 2 of the following course competencies.
· Integrate concepts related to leadership into the professional nursing role.
· Analyze the philosophy, goals, and organizational structure of a healthcare system in relationship to the delivery of quality healthcare.
· Compare selected theories of leadership, management, and organizations in relation to healthcare agencies.
· Identify how collaborative leadership styles might be utilized in various community agencies to enhance the role of the nurse leader.
· Examine change theory, change management, conflict resolution, and strategies to promote innovation.
· Explain principles of continuous quality improvement (CQI) and the process of quality planning, improvement, and control.
· Discuss the management process and its impact on the delivery of optimal healthcare.
· Analyze how accountability, advocacy, and collaboration augment the management of care.
· Describe the meaning of teamwork in respect to the health care team
· Identify the essential components of a business plan
· Analyze various organization structure/management theories as they relate to nursing practice
In addition to the assignment specifics above, your paper should:
· Be 3-4 pages, not including the title and reference pages.
· Source(s) should be integrated into the paragraphs. Use in-text citations pointing to evidence in the literature that supports your ideas.
· Incorporate a minimum of two (2) peer-reviewed sources into your paper.
· Use current APA format to style your paper and to cite your sources.
· Include a title page and a reference page listing the sources you used. Be sure to plan
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.