Has Any One Ever Worked With Sentinel City?
Has Any One Ever Worked With Sentinel City?
There are many roles a professional nurse may assume. As a member of a professional group, nurses should become active in one or more professional nursing organizations. There are many reasons to get involved-becoming involved in a professional nursing organization provides the nurse with a voice to address issues that impact nursing practice and provides a means to help the nurse stay up to date in their area of practice.
Student Instructions for Sentinel City®
Sentinel City® is an educational simulation developed by SentinelU to represent what you may find in any real United States city. This educational simulation provides a unique opportunity to explore the health and environmental issues facing American cities today, without having to leave your home. You will be able to take a simulated bus trip and/or walk around the city while observing the environment and people of Sentinel City®. Through your observations, you will gather information to assess potential health issues and risks within this educational simulation learning environment.
We encourage you to keep a notepad nearby and take notes about your observations of the city. You may take the bus tour as many times as needed to complete your assignments. You will assess different factors that may contribute to or detract from the health and wellness of the community and its citizens. After making your observations, you will return to the course and complete the related assignments. Please review the grading rubric for each assignment prior to exploring Sentinel City®.
During your first trip through the city, you will focus on the core of the community, its people. You may be asked to describe the people you see, and any expected or unexpected findings related to the citizens of Sentinel City®. Your keen observations will be the foundation to successfully completing upcoming assignments within your course.
Assignment is due: Tuesday, November _10th_ at Midnight on D2L Clinical Week 12 Drop Box
Part 1 – Take a Getting Started With Sentinel City Tour on the bus and answer the following: Has Any One Ever Worked With Sentinel City?
You are a __Community Registered Nurse___.
Your job is to ___Answer the following questions in paragraph format as you tour Sentinel City on the bus_______.
− Who do you see?
− What would you do?
− What is your plan?
− Who would be involved?
− What strategies will be used?
− What resources are needed?
− What additional questions would you ask?
− What information do you need? From whom? When?
− Where did you notice this in Sentinel City® Community Health Simulation?
− How would you resolve the situation?
− Why are the conditions this way?
Part 2 – Assignment Instructions
1. Enter Sentinel City® and interview the City Health Director. The City Health Director has additional information about the various roles that a professional nurse may assume.
2. Review course readings and other available resources. Chapter 1 & 2 of Demarco & Healy-Walsh (2020)
3. Select three professional roles that are available to nurses and discuss how each role may impact the patient, family, or healthcare in general.
4. Identify two professional organizations and discuss how active involvement would advance the nursing profession as well as contribute to your professional development.
· For a list of state, national, and international nursing organizations, visit Nursing.org at
· Review the Sentinel Watch. Every Nurse Should Belong to Professional Organization http://www.americansentinel.edu/blog/2017/01/17/every-nurse-should-belong-to-professional-organizations/
5. To demonstrate mastery, each student will complete the following.
A 5-6 slide PowerPoint presentation, addressing #3 and #4 above. References in APA format. The title slide and reference slide are separate.
6. For questions, contact your instructor.
· Identify professional nursing roles
· Analyze how the professional nursing role impacts healthcare
· Identify professional nursing organizations
· Discuss the importance of involvement in a professional nursing organization
AACN BSN Essentials
This assignment addresses the following AACN BSN Essentials: Has Any One Ever Worked With Sentinel City?
· Essential VI: Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration for Improving Patient Health
· Communication and collaboration among healthcare professionals are critical to delivering high quality and safe patient care
· Essential VII: Clinical Prevention and Population Health for Optimizing Health
· Practice evidence-based public health nursing to promote the health of individuals, families, and groups
AACN Public Health Essentials
This assignment addresses the following AACN Public Health Essential:
· Essential VIII: Professionalism and Professional Values
· Professionalism and the inherent values of altruism, autonomy, human dignity, integrity,
and social justice are fundamental to the discipline of nursing