Discussion 2: Behavioral Theorists
Pavlov, Watson, and Skinner are considered the originators of behaviorism. All contributed to learning theory. All three of the researchers studied the effects of the environment on learning.
Select one of the three behaviorists who, in your opinion, offers the most compelling argument for the use of behaviorism when teaching a new subject to an adult and to a child. Identify that behaviorist, then answer the following questions about his approach:
- Describe how that behaviorist would teach an adult a new skill. Be specific; what is the skill?
- What steps would the behaviorist use?
- Would that behaviorist use a different approach with a child?
- Why do you think this behaviorist’s approach is best?
- What issues or problems do you find in the other two behaviorists’ approaches?
Behaviorism And The Theory Of Behaviorism
Many learning theories, developments and techniques have been created, adjusted and disseminated throughout the years. Throughout history, psychologists, scientists, and other professionals have attempted to understand and explain the unexplainable. Others have tried to reason their own personal beliefs into existence as the status quo. However, to fully understand the complexity of evolution, one must begin at the beginning of an era. In this paper, the starting point resides with behaviorism. Nugent (2013) defines behaviorism as a legitimate approach to psychology in which the examination relies upon detectable, quantifiable facts and not on subjective thoughts and sentiments. To be objective and self-evident; under controlled
Methods of Differential Reinforcement Utilizing the ABAs own principles of analysis; changing behavior can be done with the assistance of differential reinforcement without the use of punishments (Buckmann, 2017). For a behavior to be successfully reinforced the reinforcers must strengthen/and or support the desired behavior. Differential reinforcement (DR) emphasizes a specific behavior classification while suppressing support for the other less desired behaviors. When people discuss DR, they are generally converse concerning its application to testing conduct. For this situation, DR comprises of two sections: (1) withholding fortification for the testing conduct, and (2) giving support to a fitting substitution conduct, an incongruent conduct, or nonappearance of the testing conduct (Chazin & Ledford, 2016). The utilization of differential fortification meets the two necessities of the definition: support is withheld for testing conduct and accommodated a proper substitution conduct. There are numerous approaches to apply differential fortification. It is a very powerful technique; nonetheless, disregarding difficult conduct may not be simple. At the point when a child is strengthened for testing and proper conduct that child will…Discussion 2: Behavioral Theorists
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.